Time management tools or time tracking apps are the secret weapons that every freelancer, employee, project manager, or business owner should have if they are looking to manage their time and resources efficiently. While self-discipline is the best time management technique anyone can learn or possess, in this day and age, with the number of distractions around and multitasking to be done, this is easier said than done.
Thanks to technology, a big chunk of this problem can be easily resolved. There are multiple platforms and apps that can help you be more organized, methodical and efficient. And that’s not it. These time management tools come with additional functionalities that can automate complex workflows helping you save both times and money.
Here are some questions that we will be addressing in this article.
- What is time management?
- What are some effective time management strategies?
- How can time tracking tools help in organizing tasks and planning activities?
- What are the best time tracking tools available?
What is time management?
Have you ever missed a project deadline? Are you clueless about the tasks you’ve accomplished in the past few weeks? Do you always feel short of resources and time? Are you ending up with higher operating costs yet slower implementation cycles?
If you’ve answered yes to any of the above, implementing an effective time management strategy should be one of the first steps to solving this problem. So, what is effective time management?
According to Wikipedia, time management is the process of planning and exercising conscious control of time spent on specific activities, especially to increase effectiveness, efficiency, and productivity.
The key here is increasing effectiveness, efficiency, and productivity. How can one manage their time efficiently to accelerate performance and boost productivity? Read further to find out more about some effective time management strategies. You may read more on why is Time tracking so important in our blog.
What are some effective time management strategies?
We reached out to a few business owners and projects managers to find out their secret recipe to a successful business. There were six key elements prevalent across the board. According to all of them, effective time-management can be achieved by following these six strategies.
Six effective time management strategies
- Know what your goals are. Stay on top of everything you need to execute.
- Plan your resources efficiently. Knowing where and how your resources are spending their time will help you delegate better.
- Assess dependencies, risks, and deliverables periodically. Re-evaluate and fix issues as and when you come across them.
- Track the time spent on your core tasks and projects. This will show you how you spend your time daily.
- Automate complex and time-consuming tasks. Use this time to spend on the more important tasks.
- Evaluate the post-project impact and learnings.
Each of the above strategies further includes multiple actionable steps and processes that need to be done or followed religiously to achieve the desired outcome. While the entire process may look complex, it can be easily achieved with the right tools and resources. We have prepared a summary of the tools and techniques that most of the project managers have reported in a short guide, and you can download the guide free here: